*A trip for two to sunny Las Vegas, entry to 2007's Interbike and the chance to ogle all the new cycling goodies slated to hit the shelves in 2008*

*A 2008 Mission 3, Diamondback’s versatile all-mountain machine. Nimble, efficient and stable, the Mission 3 features Shimano’s new Deore XT components, including the Shadow rear derailleur and high power disc brakes.*

*15 minutes of fame in a Diamondback ad that will appear in Dirt Rag featuring the winner on their new Mission 3.*

*Swag from Dirt Rag, Diamondback, Fox Racing Shox, Rockshox, Shimano and WTB. *

To enter, simply go to diamondback.com and click on the “What’s Your Mission?” button to submit your all-mountain inspiring description and photo.

You will also find the fine print there, too, but here’s some to get you started: No purchase necessary to enter or win. One entry per person. Void where prohibited by law. Contest submissions will be accepted from May 1 through August 1, 2007. Entrant must both author their description and take the photo submitted

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Kevin D - Burns Lake Alberta, Canada

Well, if you want to know what gets my cranks going, its simple... pushing my limits on a bike. And to best illustrate that simple truth I'll share an early memorable moment in a myriad of good times on a bike. It was my second year back biking after far too long of a break. I had picked up a 2003 Diamondback Sorrento. I was going to school in Port Coquitlam B.C. About 15 minutes to the north of town is Burke Mt, a relatively unknown spot between the shore in North Vancouver and the Woodlot in Maple Ridge. Burke is home to what is now one of my favorite trails "Flywheel". My good buddy Will had been living there and knew the trails and was eager to show me around when I moved to town. As we climbed the route towards Burke from the river dyke trails Will offered a reassurance that I'd be 10 times the rider at the bottom as I was at the top of Flywheel, later I'd realize that his comment really meant I'd be scared senseless at the top and become numb to the sensation by the end. We climbed for a long time, and finally reached a shoddy sign on the side of an old fire road that simply read Flywheel and dawned a front gear ring. At this point Will offered some sage advise, "Ok so the first part is pretty steep, but it has these kind of shelves that you can brake heavy on and slow down. Then its going to follow a washout for a bit, you'll go through the base of an old burnt cedar tree, but give'r cause it drops a bit after the tree and make sure you go to the right or you'll miss the trail, then there's a log ride. But once you're off the log you can stop and take a breather". To which he immediately dropped into the trail and dissapeared. At this point I realised I might be over my head, but no glory without sacrifice, I followed into the unknown. My concerns and stresses of the next days exam were shoved into the furthest reaches of my subconsious and all that remained was the 15 feet of trail ahead of me. Sure enough, steep, steep drops with very short ledges to brake on. My back tire skidded for nearly a half a kilometer, then I slipped into the washout Will mentioned earlier. Loose rocks threw my front tire every which way, but keeping the back tire locked I stayed on track and went with the flow of the rocks. At this point I took a second to glance ahead and spotted the big burnt cedar and I could just make out that Will was standing at the bottom of a drop waiting with his camera. He yelled "Give'r dude, you gotta keep your speed for this drop!". Trusting my friends advise I let go of the brake and left the creek bed to follow the narrow trail leading to the big cedar. I spotted the trail, it was benched into the side of the hill just to the right of the washout that continued below the cedar tree and I pulled up on the front wheel and kicked off towards the sidecut trail. I bounced around a bit but got control back just in time to take a slightly right hand turning ladder onto a 40' long log and rode off the down bridge at the other end, splashed through a big puddle and skidded to a stop with both wheels. "WOOHOOO!!!!" I hollared with an adrenalised tone of voice that rarely comes out, save for moments like this. At the time, it was the most technical trail I'd ever been on, even the remaining bridges and teeters on the trail seemed easier for having passed the test at the start. Since then I have ridden the Sorrento until it could no longer withstand the punnishment it suffered on more descents in Golden Ears park and back up north in my home town. I still have it, take it out once in a while to keep it greased and to remember some of the rides it carried me through. I still push my limits every time I ride and the progression never stops, whether its on a full on DH bike at the whister bike park, or riding sweet sweet single track. Nothing gets me fired up like riding a new trail full tilt and seeing what surprises lay around the next corner. Thanks for listening, see you on the trail someday real soon. BTW The photo attached is the photo Will took as I went through the cedar tree and you can make out tha front tire is already in the air.